The World Bird Wednesday Archive

World Bird Wednesday is open for submissions every Tuesday at noon E.S.T. to Midnight on Wednesday by clicking on the WBW logo picture below.

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

World Bird Wednesday IX


The Downy Woodpecker[Picoides pubescens] is the smallest woodpecker in North America.

Up close and personal!


I was all set to go out to the eagle pond one gray day this week and see if I could make any headway shooting in the low light. As soon as my hand touched the door knob it started to snow and I gave up on that idea. The dishes needed washing so I shifted my mind set from crack photographer to domestic servant. The window above my sink looks out over the back yard and the river. As I began to suds up I caught sight of a Pileated Woodpecker banging on the tree near the high bank! Crack photographer threw off his apron and shot into action. In a blur of motion the tripod was set up and with the big 400mm strapped on to it  I was ready for bear. I nudged open the sliding glass door and with the cold air pouring into the house I clicked off a few reference shots. I had not seen a Pileated in the six years since I saw my first and this guy was calmly pounding the tree and paying me no mind. I looked down at my camera settings to make some adjustments and when I looked back up the bird was gone and the meter reader from the electric company was trudging through the yard oblivious to everything.Yikes! Crack photographer put away his gear and went back to sulk in his suds with thoughts of what might have been.
Curses, foiled again! 


Now it's time for World Bird Wednesday

This is the home of World Bird Wednesday. A place for bird photographers from around the world to gather and share their photographs and experiences as they pursue Natures most diverse and beautiful treasurers, the birds. The Blogosphere connects like minded people from around our planet like no other technology can do. World Bird Wednesday will be open for posting at 12 noon Tuesday EST North America through noon on Thursday.


You are invited to link your blog with other bird photographers in a weekly celebration of these most diverse and intriguing of Earth's residents, the BIRDS


                                                        



Three Easy Steps!

#1. Simply copy the above picture onto your W.B.W. blog entry. It contains a link for your readers to share in WBW. Or you can copy this link on to your blog page to share W.B.W. http://pineriverreview.blogspot.com/

#2. Come to The Pine River Review on Tuesday Noon EST through Thursday Noon and submit your blog entry with Linky.

#3. Check back in during the course of the next day and explore these excellent photoblogs!


The thumbnails below are links to our contributors blogs where you can view their beautiful posts. The idea of a meme is that you will visit each others blogs and perhaps leave a comment to encourage your compadres.


              Please in your linky description give a clue to your location like U.K. or Bolivia.
               And hey, it's okay to link one of your older posts that you worked so hard on.


                                                       Come on, it's your turn!